23 October, 2006

Funny Place Names

Rural America has many small towns with funny names. Most of them are Biblical, eg Nineveh, Indiana, but others are classical, eg Memphis, Tennessee or Carthage, Indiana. (Obviously the townsfolk of Nineveh were just skimming their Bible for names, without giving any thought to the connotations.) And don't get me started on their pronunciation of Edinburgh, In.!

Then yesterday I drove through the sleepy little hamlet of Hindustan, Indiana. Why, oh why, would one use a name like Hindustan for a town in rural America? Hindustan was a pagan country; India still is, by and large. The name hasn't even been sanctified by appearing in the Bible nor has Jonah gone there to convert the inhabitants.

Oh, and stranger still, I just happened to have a pair of Indians in the car with me as I was driving past there. They found it quite amusing.

3 Comments:

At 26 Oct 2006, 12:31:00 am, Blogger Lara said...

I was going to comment on the lack of controversy here.. but I also like creamycam's suggestion, even though I'm neither male nor misogynistic!

 
At 26 Oct 2006, 9:59:00 pm, Blogger Nick said...

The thing is, your phrase "Male Curiosities" sounds almost like an oxymoron. Men don't get excited about their mates' relationships. In fact, Cameron, you're starting to remind me of Sara! ;-)

Nevertheless, it's worth it just to hear Lara refer to Cam by his sexually-suggestive screen-name!

 
At 27 Oct 2006, 3:45:00 am, Blogger Lara said...

Well, you know that Lara is too innocent and pure of mind to figure these things out...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home