15 October, 2006

Online Evangelism

Have you ever noticed how anonymity lowers your inhibitions? Specifically, how people are more willing to discuss sensitive issues online? (This blog is just one example.)

Skype brings this out in a lot of people. I already noticed that new Skype contacts will often ask "Do you have a girlfriend?" within the first few minutes (one German girl even asked "Are you gay?" before I got a chance to tell her that I did have a girlfriend). I've got to talking religion with a few of my long-term Skype friends but today was the first time that it came up so suddenly. Here's a transcript:
Nick: it's Sunday morning here in the USA
myan: ah okay..Did you attend church aleady?
Nick: I don't go to church
myan: What??????
Nick: never
unless it's someone else's wedding or funeral
myan: why????
Nick: if you must know, because I don't believe in God
myan: (raised eyebrow emoticon)
Nick: You asked!
myan: why????
Nick: Why don't I believe? Do you believe in Vishnu? Zeus? Odin? Why not?
myan: (surprised emoticon)
Nick: well, why don't you believe in Vishnu?
myan: The greatest lost you could ever have in life is not to have Jesus in life....think of what I said...I enjoy my life with Jesus and I cant explain how joy i have ....full joy that no one could take away....hope you can decide... your still young... think.....God Bless still!!

She didn't receive my last comment, which was:
Ok, that may be true. I do believe that Jesus makes you happy. But what do you say to the Hindu who tells you that "I enjoy my life with Vishnu"?
I don't know whether she actually blocked me or just logged off. Meh.

(N.B. While it's a little frustrating to talk to narrow-minded people of any sort, I didn't find this conversation offensive like the chat I had with a Chinese girl who told me that she hates all Japanese.)

1 Comments:

At 15 Oct 2006, 9:21:00 pm, Blogger Lara said...

I'm willing to discuss sensitive issues anytime, without being anonymous!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home