22 December, 2005

Condescending Carols

My other blog describes many of my experiences living as an ex-pat but there's something I really didn't expect now that Xmas is approaching -- I've got carols stuck in my head.

This is wierd because I hate carols. I don't mean I dislike that style of music, I mean I find many of the lyrics incredibly offensive. And the interesting bit is that the more musically beautiful carols are the more offensive the lyrics get. For example, "Jingle Bells" is has lyrics insipid enough not to offend anyone who doesn't mind Santa and "Good King Wenceslas" sends a terrific message of good will but both of these have really boring, repetitive melodies. Whereas a more elaborate choral tune like "O Holy Night" has the line, 'long lay the world in sin and error pining til he appeared'. Likewise, "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" leaves us in no uncertain terms as to Jesus' mission 'to save us all from Satan's power when we were gone astray'. These really don't do much for inter-faith relations with the Jews, Hindus, Zoroastrians and any other religions that predate Christianity (I wonder if there are any Graeco-Roman pagans left?). I'm sure that this correlation is coincidental, something more to do with the decreasing religiosity of western society vs historically changing musical styles. But it still bothers me.

So it really comes as a shock to me that I would actually enjoy hearing carols; but so it is. It must be some sort of primal instinct that, when far from home, I subconsciously yearn for the routines of my childhood. This despite the fact that I do consciously try to avoid anything with religious overtones and am reluctant to celebrate Xmas at all. I would love to do Festivus instead but most people would simply look at me blankly.

1 Comments:

At 11 Jan 2006, 12:10:00 am, Blogger Nick said...

By "inter-faith relations" I didn't mean some sort of reconciliation of the different faiths, which would certainly require an unacceptable amount of watering-down. The sentiment I was trying to express was more like "if you can't say anything nice..."

While it's true that any person of faith believes that others are wrong, I just wish they'd keep it to themselves and not describe the rest of the world as "sinful". "Error" is one thing but "sin and error" makes it sound like anyone without the Christian faith is morally deficient. That is the condescention I don't appreciate; it's those attitudes that lead to sectarian violence etc.

A simple solution would be for people to keep such divisive beliefs to themselves. But that just brings me back to my initial worry -- it was in my own head that I heard them! Maybe I just shouldn't celebrate Xmas at all...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home